Thursday, July 16, 2009

First Night of Trek

4am - get up to get ready for Trek. Meet at the church at 5am. Meet our families, have family prayer, get on the bus to go. It's an 8 hour bus ride. Long, but good. We had time to sit down with each one of our kids and get to know them. I was grateful for that time. We got to Martin's Cove and got our handcarts and our buckets loaded and then walked down to the orientation building and watched a 15 minute video about the pioneers and got some instructions. Drink, drink, drink, and watch for snakes. Stay on the trail!

The first night we hiked about 7 miles. It was so crazy windy. We could hardly keep our hats and bonnets on. I finally just took mine off. It was hard for me to catch the spirit as I had my head down and my eyes closed for most of the evening. I was trying to keep the dust out my eyes. The kids pulled and walked and did just great. NO complaints about the dust storm we were walking through. We finally got to the campsite and found our sleeping bags and set up camp. We had dinner, which was broth and rolls, so I didn't eat. (allergic to gluton) I had a granola bar instead. I was so tired, I felt bad for our kids. I know we were supposed to be getting to know each other, but I was too tired to do anything. We just let them wander and hang with their friends. Finally it was dark, we had family prayer and went to bed. I didn't sleep much, but it was just good to rest my body and close my eyes.

No comments:

background

Voting