Friday, February 20, 2009

New News

Well, after a few hours at the Doctors this afternoon.... we decided not to have back surgery just yet. I've been suffering from a degenerative, herniated disk for the last few years. The good news is that the disk is not ruptured anymore. The bad news is that the disk had degenerated even more and I'm looking at surgery at some point in my future to fix it. After the Doctor showed me the two inch rods that he will put in my back and remove the disk, I opted for some steroid injections instead. I do not want that thing in my back. It's 6 months to a year for full recovery. We are hoping the injections will alleviate the pain and give me some time. The doctor said that right now, they can grow a disk in a lab, but just don't know how to insert or attach it. There are also artificial disks, but they are so new, the results and success rate are vague. It sounds like there may be other options in the future, so I'm going to have some shots for right now.

3 comments:

Cherilyn said...

I just had shoulder & wrist surgery so I'm a bit late in updating my blog and looking at yours. I can't imagine 6months to a year to recuperate from surgery. I'm dying and it has only been 11 days and should only be about 12 weeks total. Have you looked into the chambers they have at the chiropractor office? I know this sounds strange but you should look into them. I've heard marvelous things from them and people have avoided surgery all together. I hope the shots manage your pain. They only managed mine for a short time and they would only give me 3 so that's why I ended up doing the surgery. Wow - are we old or what???? Good luck : )

Derek and Vicki and family said...

Kristy - take care of yourself... let us know if we can do anything..

Kristydawn said...

Yes, I feel old! My friend had the shoulder surgery on both arms. I'm sorry. I know that's a bugger of a recovery. Good luck. I've been going to a chiropracter since I hurt my back years ago. He helps manage the pain, but I'm just tired of not sleeping at night. I'll get one shot and see what happens. The pain isn't actually too bad, just annoying. It wakes me up at night, but I feel it very little during the day. :)

hey, send me an invite to your blog so I can see pics of your family. I still think it's so funny we both have 4 boys. Who Knew?

background

Voting